London_20060304_1429

23 June, 2005

Snake Eyes

My experiences with the dice have not been many, but all absolute. I am of the belief that once the die has been consulted, its will should be followed, regardless of reason or potential personal discomfort. That is mainly the reason why I rarely consult the six-sided goddess. My time is spent mostly listening to ’She’ by the Misfits whilst getting intoxicated. There is one incident in particular which was both potentially destructive and just really stupid, all as a result of a roll.

The night before my post grad exam I met up with a friend of mine for a drink. I think perhaps the alcohol made me more confident, because in my infinite wisdom I gave circumstance a 50/50 chance; 1-3 go home , do last minute studying, get rest etc., or 4-6 keep drinking and trust my skills of improvisation to pass. There would have been no story had not the die landed on a four, five or six, so needless to say I took a deep breath and resigned myself to a higher power.

Four or five pints followed the two I had had already, plus a few cheeky chasers. When the pub shut we headed for my place, where we drank rum and smoked skunk.
Around four or five in the morning, much against my friend’s advice, I snorted a line of ketamine, upon which I went straight to bed, completely fucked.

At nine am my friend wakes me up with coffee, Megadeth’s Holy Wars blasting at top volume. An additional coffee later, and I set out to do my exam with the sun glaring on my imploded corpus whilst my stomach acid is trying to leave it. Got off a the wrong tube stop, started walking in the completely opposite direction, hailed a cab, missed fifteen minutes of the first exam, nearly puked in the second and third, and went straight to bed whilst the others went to celebrate.

However, it seems nature has dealt me a couple of lovely cards, one being the ability to seemingly pass any exam with total disregard to knowledge of the subject or the complete lack of studying, and the other being the ability to function when drunk and with a ketamine hangover at ten am on a Tuesday. Anyway, I am side tracking.

Bottom line is, I should have failed and to follow the dice is to be prepared to do somethings that are really dumb. So what did I gain from aforementioned event? I think it is a great story, but other than that nothing. I think I am quite capable of fucking up my own life without the need for dice. Every so often, however, I take them out. I have to screw with my life. And one of these days I am going to run out of luck.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home