London_20060304_1429

29 June, 2005

The trials and tribulations of a wanna be poker pro, part I

Well you can't win all the time!

Last night my bankroll took a serious hit. So serious in fact, that it'll take me a few hours this evening just to get it back on an even keel. This is what happened;
I started last Monday with $20, which in the course of the week became $160.
Then last night I lost $140 in the space of two hours. I didn't play particularly bad, I just got some extremely bad beats (lost nearly $50 with a KK 333 full house to a KKK 33 full house, a further $30 on a pocket AA Vs pocket 10's which became three 10's on the river).
Considering I am still over my $20 initial 'investment', I am not lamenting the loss too much. I wouldn't have played it any differently and on any other night I would have cleaned up. There is a valuable lesson here, and no it is not 'gambling is bad' - it is the importance of having a big bankroll to cover your ass when the cards go against you.
Alas this evening I will be playing lower stakes games to get the bankroll back to an acceptable and useful level. Online poker is fast and difficult, but it can also be fast and easy. I see it as a long-term venture. My main aim tonight will be to not go under my bankroll. We'll see how I fare!
Considering checking out some other sites to play on, as Ladbrokes consistently seems to deal troublesome flops. That is my excuse, anyway.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha interesting, are you seriuosly considering going pro?

I am very curious to see how you do. I am sure that if you apply yourself fully it is achievable.

Very interesting. (Joep)

2:48 pm  
Blogger tseuq said...

Well I am seriously considering it. Perhaps a gradual change from funding researcher to poker pro is on the cards (get it?)

3:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, nice pun! (Joep)

5:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home