London_20060304_1429

27 June, 2005

Who said gambling doesn't pay?

SPW and I went to the Gutshot card club on Friday (www.gutshot.com). We were a bit apprehensive as we'd never been before and as such didn't have any inclination as to the competition. Also this was to be our first tournament of this size.
We met up before hand and quickly downed a significant amount of alcohol at a near by pub. When we entered Gutshot, we found ourselves surrounded by bacardi breezers, wide boys and hardened gamblers. More alcohol followed, and then it was time to play.
114 people had signed up for this £10 buy-in tournament, and to be honest neither SPW nor myself held much hope of going past the first hour or so. I bought in after about twenty minutes or so, and then again at the end of the buy-in period. £30 down, and hardly a soul had been knocked out yet.
Time passed surprisingly quickly considering I spoke to no one at m y table, and folded about 99% of my hands. SPW was following a similar pattern. Alas at one stage SPW did get knocked out (not sure in which place), and I was left to defend the Kit Russell Cup honour. My strategy worked, and by the time only 30 or so players remained, I began to quite fancy my chances. Twelve people left, and it was agreed that final 10 places would get paid. At this stage I had nearly three times as much chips as the average, and I rode it out until it was down to the final 10.
A small break ensued, and then it was on to the finals table. The average age must have been 45 or older, but that didn't put me off in any way. I was after all guaranteed some money in lieu of having made it to the finals. Several more people got knocked out, and by 2.30am it was my turn to call it a night. Was forced to go all in with a K8 off suit, and went down to a AK suited. I said my goodbyes, and went to collect my cash. I had successfully fended off 109 people and finished in fifth place, - not at all what I had expected.
To my surprise fifth place carried a prize of £294 cash, which I gladly picked up and went home. I had been playing for 6 1/2 hours and it took me a while to realise just what had taken place. When I awoke Saturday morning I saw all the cash lying on my table, and it dawned on me what I had accomplished the night before.
£50 an hour is not a bad wage, and the £294 provided me with a sweet income supplement. I will definitely go back to Gutshot soon, and see if it was a fluke or whether I have learnt something from playing so many games both IRL and online in the last year or so. I love poker. Including my online winnings I had amassed nearly £370 in one week. Not bad going for a total of ten hours play. Who needs a job?
If things keep going this way, certainly not I!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carlsson, do you play for money online? (Joep)

9:35 am  
Blogger tseuq said...

Yes I do. Why?

1:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wondering, is that more difficult? (Joep)

3:22 pm  
Blogger tseuq said...

Yes and no!
In real life you can obviously read your opponents much easier, but online you can play a more mathematical game. You get dealt more hands per hour online, and you can play several tables at once. I like both forms, but nothing beats the feeling of holding a stack of cash in your hands whilst gloating to your defeated opponent. But when you play online you can be naked, surf the net and inject smack simultaneously if you want. The latter is especially hard in a real life game, I would think.

7:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home