London_20060304_1429

07 July, 2005

London's Calling, Part II

1700hrs.
Yes there will be more deaths and yes we should not be disappointed that the media doesn't speculate too much on this matter yet. Nothing can be done to save the already dead.
The 33 figure quoted on bbc.co.uk is far from the final, however. As the BBC website itself states, the figure is not including the people who may or may not have succumbed on the exploding bus.
Suffice to say it would have been better had it not taken place.
We as Londoners should be grateful that the attacks weren't on the Madrid scale.
I feel so frustrated knowing that someone saw fit to attack 'my' city, and that I am completely unable to do anything about it.
Most frustrating of all was the fact that I was holed up at work when all this took place, and was forced to watch the events unfold behind my desk. I realise I could have done nothing about it except perhaps exacerbate the situation by being one more individual getting in the way. And yet I feel I should have been there. Odd, really, isn't it?
Just had confirmation that the last of my unaccounted for friends is safe. That was good news.
We should perhaps take some comfort in the fact the London emergency services are better prepared for this sort of event than probably anywhere else in the world.
My condolences to those involved and their relatives and friends.
London hasn't given in to IRA bombings, and we won't give in to this either!
This great city could be under siege from all corners and we would still insist on getting to work on time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home